VMI cadets, graduates of accredited secondary schools, and students in good standing at other colleges may enroll in either or both terms of the Summer Session. High school students who have been promoted to the twelfth grade and have the written approval of their high school principals are eligible to attend the VMI Summer Session, however they will not be permitted to live in Barracks.
PLEASE NOTE. The following individuals are ineligible to attend the VMI Summer Session:
- Former cadets dismissed from the Institute for any reason.
- Cadets suspended from the Institute for disciplinary reasons.
- Cadets who resigned from the Institute with major disciplinary actions pending.
- Students who will matriculate as new cadets in August 2021 unless approved in writing by the Superintendent. Appeals for exceptions must be made in writing to the Director of Summer Session, COL Jay Johnson, 301 Shell Hall, Lexington, Virginia 24450, outlining the rationale for the exception. Appeals will be submitted to the Superintendent for review and the applicant notified of the decision.
Virginia Senior Citizen’s Higher Education Act
Pursuant to Virginia Senior Citizen’s Higher Education Act, any individual over the age of 60, who is a Virginia domiciliary for a minimum of one year and earns less than $23,850 annually, and who otherwise meets the summer admission criteria of the Virginia Military Institute (see Summer Session Catalogue) may attend free of tuition and fees. The admission criteria for summer session are substantially more lenient than the criteria for VMI’s full-time, academic year program. VMI does not offer a part-time enrollment option during the regular academic year. Application and receipt of documentation (State and Virginia tax returns with W-2 form(s), documentation of disability status or IRS Letter of Non-Tax Filing documentation for the previous year) must be completed and approved prior to the start of any summer session term.
There will be no centralized registration on the days preceding the beginning of each summer session. You may still register on the days preceding each session but you will have to pay a $70 late registration fee and contact each office (Summer Session & Registrar–303 Shell Hall, Cadet Accounting–310 Smith Hall, and VMI Police–202 BOQ) separately.
Current Cadets in Good Standing (excluding study abroad and research participants):
Cadets currently enrolled for the spring 2021 semester at VMI and in good standing must register for the Summer Session directly through Post View.
The Post View link to registration for both terms of the Summer Session and the Summer Transition Program will open at 4 p.m. on Friday, April 16th. Cadets currently not enrolled at VMI must submit the online Non-VMI Cadet Summer Session Application located on the Summer Session webpage. That application will be available beginning at 4 p.m. on Friday, April 16th. The link for first summer session registration will remain open until 3 p.m. on Wednesday, May 19th. Registration for the second summer session will remain open until noon on Friday, June 25th. You are not considered registered and cannot attend classes until all fees are paid.
- After the payment/registration deadline students with unpaid fees will be dropped from class rolls and risk losing a seat in course(s). Registration, reinstatement of classes, and class schedule changes (not due to course cancellations) after this deadline will require a visit to the Registrar’s Office and a $70 late registration fee will be assessed.
Any changes related to your registration information, i.e., dropping or adding a course or meal plan, after the online registration closes will necessitate a visit to the Summer Session Office, 303 Shell Hall. The Summer Session registration link will first take you to instructions on how to complete the registration process. Please read the instructions carefully before proceeding. Briefly, you must select your courses, indicate whether you want to reside in the Barracks, select a meal plan, and provide information about any vehicle that you want to register for the summer. The charges generated will be reflected in your online account balance.
- Summer Session charges must be paid in full by 3 p.m. on Wednesday, May 19th if you are attending the first summer session and by noon on Friday, June 25th if you are attending the second summer session. You are not registered and cannot attend classes until all fees are paid. After the payment/registration deadline students with unpaid fees will be dropped from class rolls and risk losing a seat in the course(s). Students requiring reinstatement of classes due to missing the payment deadline will be assessed a $70 late registration fee.
The charges can be paid on-line or via telephone with a credit card. MasterCard, VISA, Discover, and American Express cards are accepted. If a credit card is used a 2.6% convenience fee will be added to the total. Payment can also be made online via E-check with no additional charge or in person at the Cadet Accounting Office (310 Smith Hall) any time prior to the deadline.
ROOM & BOARD - If you have registered and paid for a room in barracks, those assignments will be handled by the Commandant’s Office. If you have registered for and paid for a meal plan your name will be on the meal roster. You must check in with a Summer Session official in the mess hall before each meal.
PARKING ON POST - Parking permits must be registered for and paid prior to arriving for Summer Session.
- Current Cadets: To obtain a parking permit please register your vehicle directly through Post View under the Summer Session tab. Once you have submitted payment for your summer tuition and fees, including the parking permit via Post View, the permit will be sent to your VMI Post Office Box for pick up.
- Cadets Not Currently Enrolled at VMI & Students From Other Colleges: To obtain a parking permit please indicate on your Non-VMI Cadet Summer Session Application that you will be bringing a vehicle and include the requested details. Submit your payment for summer session tuition and fees, including the parking permit, via Post View. You will pick up your parking permit at the VMI Police Department.
- STP Students: To obtain a parking permit please indicate that you will be bringing a vehicle on your STP application and include the requested details. Submit your STP tuition and fees, including the parking permit via Post View. You will receive your parking permit at STP check-in.
Students in Good Standing from Other Institutions:
Students in good standing from other colleges, including students recently accepted for admission to those colleges, may register for courses by completing the online non-cadet summer session application located on the VMI Summer Session web page. You must also provide the Registrar with a letter from an official at your college affirming your good standing or acceptance for admission as a new student. If you want to enroll in a course with a prerequisite you must also provide an official transcript which verifies that you have taken the required course or an equivalent. Transfer of credits earned at VMI should be approved by your institution prior to registration. After completion of your courses, you may order a transcript online at www.vmi.edu/transcripts. All fees and the letter affirming your good standing must be received by the registration deadline. You are not registered until the letter and fees have been received. The charges can be paid in the VMI Cadet Accounting Office (310 Smith Hall) or via telephone with a credit card. MasterCard, VISA, Discover, and American Express cards are accepted. If a credit card is used a 2.6% convenience fee will be added to the total.
- You are not registered and cannot attend classes until all fees are paid. After the payment/registration deadline students with unpaid fees will be dropped from class rolls and risk losing a seat in the course(s). Registration, reinstatement of classes, or class schedule changes (not due to course cancellations) after this deadline will require a visit to the Registrar’s Office and a $70 late registration fee will be assessed.
Students Participating in Study Abroad Programs:
Please refer to the Study Abroad Section of this catalog for program information.
Students Participating in Summer Undergraduate Research:
The Summer Undergraduate Research Institute (SURI) is a component of the VMI Summer Session. Consequently, students participating in the program must be registered for the Summer Session and enrolled in the appropriate course. Students interested in research must first apply with the VMI Center for Undergraduate Research (615 Preston Library). Accepted students will be registered for their SURI course by returning a completed and signed SURI application to the Registrar’s Office (303 Shell Hall). Once registered for the appropriate SURI course students can register a vehicle and sign up for a room and meal plan online using Post View, no later than 4 p.m. on Tuesday, May 11th. Registration after the deadline will result in the assessment of a $70 late registration fee.
In addition to their research credits students participating in SURI may take a maximum of four additional credits per summer session (with the exception of lab classes). Students may not enroll in SURI and a lab class in the same session. The cost of any additional credits is the responsibility of the student.
Add/Drop - Late Registration
Students may add, drop, or register late (see associated late fees above) for courses in the Summer Session Office (303 Shell Hall) according to the following schedule:
Last day to add/drop classes for Summer Session I
25 May: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Last day to add/drop classes for Summer Session II
29 June: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
To facilitate planning and to better meet the needs of our students, several courses in both sessions will be guaranteed. A guaranteed course is one that will be taught regardless of enrollment. The following courses are guaranteed.
First Session Guaranteed Courses:
Second Session Guaranteed Courses: